Thursday, October 10, 2013

Classroom enviroment

vs


Chapter 4 in Fulfilling the Promise started out by talking about the classroom environment. I feel like this is huge! Over the last couple of years I have gone into many different classrooms. It is interesting to me how you can see the teacher's personality come through from their classroom. If I were to walk into a room completely organized and everything in place, then you know that teacher is that way as well. Now of course throughout the day this changes as students are interacting and using the classroom, but at the start of the day it is easily recognized what that teacher is like. Last year for my fieldwork in first grade, the first time I walked into that classroom all I saw was chaos. There were things everywhere. Guess how that teacher was? She was not organized at all!! All her bulletins were actually very neat and well done, but it was all of her work and none of the students! I feel like the class needs to represent the students not the teacher! If you have a word wall in your class, then you should actually use it otherwise what's the point?
I think of classroom environments kind of the way I think of my home environment. When I have order at home and things are mostly picked up then I am a much better wife and mom rather than the opposite, I just am not the best wife and mom. I want my 8 month old daughter to love her environment because she spends most of her time there so I have changed my entire apartment to meet her needs. Teachers need to do the same for their students. We have to assess the needs of our students and make sure the environment reflects that. All of our students need to feel comfortable and need an environment that will help them learn.



1 comment:

  1. Your pictures above really emphasize your feelings about this. Thanks for sharing, and for being passionate about the classroom environment! 3 pts.

    ReplyDelete