Tuesday, September 17, 2013

ESL





While I was doing my reading for my ESL class, I couldn't help but realize that all of the strategies we can use for ELLS, we can use with each of our students. One of the biggest things I noticed while reading was that students learned their second language so much quicker by talking. This got me to thinking about all the opportunities our students have to actually talk while in class. Sure this varies from class to class, but I honestly think that most students don't do a lot of talking in class. It could be for various reasons like shyness or that there just are not those opportunities to talk.

I reflected that this is just another reason for us as teacher to implement morning meetings. It is so important for students to learn to communicate with one another and also for students to learn different social skills such as looking into each others eyes while talking. It is especially important for ELLs to get talked to directly. Sure they will learn the language by observing, but more importantly, they learn so much more when someone is talking directly to them.

I am so happy that I have learned about morning meetings and am more excited to continue to see the benefits of it! I think it will all in all make me a better teacher.



1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy that you've made these connections to what can come out of well thought-out morning meetings... with the intent of having your students talk and express themselves. (3 pts.)

    ReplyDelete